Feb 1959, Russia – 9 hikers died under mysterious circumstances, true cause of death never really explained.
Governments at times have made their best efforts to conceal facts and ‘truths’ which are deemed to be beyond the understanding of the society. We are not always told the truth and what we are told may not always be the truth. Such concealments are known as “The concpiracy theories”. The death of 9 hikers under mysterious circumstances and government’s efforts to keep it under warps makes it one of the most popular concpiracy theories, also known as the “The Dytlov Pass Incident”.
It was 1959 January, a group of hikers led by their leader Igor Dytlov were on an hiking expdition in Ural Mountains in Nothern Russia. A young Igor who was 23, led a group of 9 hikers, most of them fellow students in their early 20’s at Ural Polytechnical Institute. Though young, the group had enough skiing and hiking experience to back them up. The group aimed to reach Otorten mountain and then back. A successful triumph would have enabled them to get a Grade 3 hiking certification, precious one indeed, but it seemed that fate had other plans for them.
The group started their journey( Jan27th) from Vizhai, which was the last inhabited settlement to the north. A day later one of their hikers Yuri Yudin, had to call quits to the hike and journey back due to health issues (which later turned out to be a blessing in disguise). And the group which was reduced to 9 continued on their trail. It was 12th Feb, the day off their expected return to Vizhai, as decided prior, Igor was supposed to send a telegram, from Vizhai of their successful return. But as cruel fate would have there were no signs of their return, days passed, a request then was made to carry out a search and rescue operation on 20th Feb.
The search party consisted of volunteers and the Russian army. The search proved futile at first but finally on 26th Feb they found the group’s tent at Kholat Sykhal a nearby mountain, which wasn’t part of their route. It was presumed that a bad wether had led the group to deviate from their route, and reach Kholat Syakhl, upon realizing they took a decision to camp it out through the rough night.The findings made by the search party would baffle even the strongest of the rational mind.
- The tent found was in a dire state, torn and cut from the inside.
- Footprints were found of the group moving away from the tent. Well, the footprints told an astonishing tale, it turned out that the group had left the tent in a hurry without any footwear, some in their socks while others just barefoot. Surprising indeed consedering all this taking place in a snowy region. It seemed they were running away from something.
- After 500 meters bodies of two of the members were found near the woods, and guess what they were just in their inner wears.
- At some distance 3 more bodies were found including that of Igor, their leader. The poses they were found in suggested their attempt to return back to the camp.
- It took the search mission around 4 months to find the remaining 4 members. They were found in ravine covered in snow. Unlike other members they were better dressed, it seemed that those who died first had given up their clothings to others.
- Another intresting fact- as per the local legend 9 Mansi hunters(the local tribe) had died at the same location. Igor and his group a total 9 hikers died in mysterious circumstances here. Years later a plane crashed near this location with 9 casualties. Call it a coincidence!
It was concluded that the deaths were caused due to hypothermia and unknown natural forces. But an autopsy report stirred a doubt raising few questions.
- Any reckless act or a psychological breakdown was unlikely consedering all of them to be experienced hikers.
- Few of the members found at the ravine had some of their organs like tongue and portions of their lips missing.
- Some of them had a internal injuries like a broken skull, said to be caused by a strong force unlikely a human. Surprisingly their bodies showed no signs of external injuries. Thus arising a question over how were the internal injuries caused?
- A few bodies also showed signs of radiation, which was very strange consedering it to be a natural mountains region.
AND THE THEORIES SAID…
Based on available facts, many theories popped out attempting to explain the deaths of these 9 hikers.
- Around the same time of their deaths, there were sightings of bright sphers around the same location by another group of hikers 50km away.
- It was claimed that their deaths were caused as a result of a secret military experiments taking place at the sight. Russian government’s act of concealing and suppressing facts and other documents related to the case further supports this theory.
- Some theories also claim an extraterrestrial encounter.
Well, in this case the beans were never spilled. All the documents and reports related were tightly concealed by the government and were never made fully public.
The pass were the group met their end was named as “Dytlov Pass” in honor of their leader Igor Dytlov. This case still remains one of the well known concpiracy theories. Nine lives lost under mysterious circumstances and a relevant explanation still missing!
Science is the proven limit of human intellectual capabilities, forces beyond this limit do exist, waiting to be seeked. What you are told to believe may not always be the truth, but the question is- Is your mind open enough to grasp it?